it's here


The first fire of the season is on tonight. I love this time of year. Fall is right up there with spring and summer, in my opinion. And winter has its moments, too. It's been cool enough lately to wear scarves to work in the morning, and then take them off as soon as the day starts to warm up. The air is cool and breezy, and wood smoke is in the air. I feel like listening to P.D. James books while driving for work (they're all great, I'm currently listening to this one, borrowed from the library) which is a sure sign of fall. And I bought mums (red's my favourite, and they match the door) for the back step.

I know I'm not the only one who loves this cooler weather and abundant harvesty season. (We've each been eating our weight in cucumbers in our house.) Amongst my other favourite things about fall - my chai concentrate in a cup of Red Rose tea.

One of the only unpleasant things about fall (along with dark morning wake-ups) is that germs seem to get passed around with astounding rapidity (can you tell I'm steeped in P.D. James?), and it seems as though the boys brought home some kind of ick after the first day back last week! I think P has fought it off, but Thomas is congested and his nose is running like a faucet today. I'm planning to pick up some lemons and ginger tomorrow and whip up some of the honey lemon concentrate we keep in the fridge through the winter. I didn't think we'd need it so soon!

What are your favourite things about fall that I've missed? (I'm also looking forward to campfires in cozy sweaters, the leaves falling in the woods, and cold, sunny weekend days at the beach.)

I hope you enjoy the season as much as I do!